22 October, 2011

When less is more...

Is anyone really surprised that once again Summit Entertainment is shoving yet another Twilight movie down our throats? This is typical for the production company that was lucky enough to land the highly successful franchise. During promotion for the "Twilight" there were no less than eight T.V. spots, fans were with cast and crew every step of the way throughout filming, Hot Topic Mall Tours for the cast, and various "sneak peak" of the film at one festival or another. Still, the buzz was at an all time high and the movie went on to break box office records.

The same formula was used to promote "New Moon". While set coverage was scaled back and the Hot Topic Mall Tours canceled, there were still numerous T.V spots, stills and clips released. When I sat in the theatre to view the movie, I felt like I had seen most of it already. This prompted a personal media black out for "Eclipse". I'm glad that I did as I enjoyed the movie much more having not seen even the first clip, let alone a T.V. spot, for the movie.

"Breaking Dawn, Parts One and Two" is the ending of the Twilight franchise for Summit. They HAVE to make this work in order to hit what I think is an unrealistic box office goal they have set for themselves. That goal? One billion dollars (with or without the Austen Powers voice) per film. I just don't see it happening. While all the films thus far have had stellar box office numbers, none of them have broken the billion dollar ceiling. The highest grossing film to date is "New Moon" with $709,827,462 in 19 weeks of being in theatres.

Looking at Summits track record with the other films they produce, it's not good. Twilight is their cash cow, we get it. This is why we have two very unnecessary parts to Breaking Dawn. This being said, do they have to shove it down our throats? Shouldn't the films speak for themselves? Granted, we're not talking Oscar caliber films here, but they are enjoyable. Well, at least they have been. From what has been leaked so far from Breaking Dawn, I'm not holding out much hope for this one. Although I am looking forward to some hilarity between Jacob & Rosealie.

I say less is more and that alone should put people in the seats, but what do I know. Well, that and Robert Pattinson, but that is another story for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment