19 February, 2012

the best they can do at this point...

I wrote this blog post back in February. Just messing around a bit really, but the thoughts are still mine. I find it funny to go back and read drafts, but this one stuck out for me. You don't have to read though the thing, but I would like to draw attention to the highlighted bit at the end and compare it to this

There's also a sense that the film has been edited to keep her presence as limited as possible, with few shots lingering and a role that's mostly passive
Mostly passive?  Her character is in the title of the film!!  She is supposed to be the lead character, how is she "mostly passive"?  Oh wait! Thinking back to the first, second and so on tv spots, not many of them actually feature Stewart and even fewer of them feature her speaking in them.  That is NEVER a good sign.

That was a bit of a review from ClickOnline.com which you can read here   I find it funny that these seems to be a common theme with this film.  I also saw a tweet last night that read,

"Phrase nobody ever saw coming: "the vastly superior 'Mirror, Mirror'"

That cracked me up, of course it was in the 2am hour.  After all the comparisons to these two films, which are clearly nothing alike, yeah, that was funny.

Any noodle...this is the rest of the blog if you are so included to read.

So there are going to be two Snow White movies coming out this year. Yes, two. Now, I've got nothing against Snow White, I mean she is the "Fairest of them all" but she is just not my favorite of any of the Princesses. So the fact that there are two movies coming out does nothing for me. However, these two movies, while possibly having similar themes, have a very different look and feel to them.

First up is "Mirror, Mirror" staring Julia Roberts, Nathan Lane, Armie Hammer, and Lilly Collins. I'll let you guess who is playing who. This version of Snow White is going to take a stab at the campy, humorous side of things. Just imagining the screen time between Julia Roberts and Nathan Lane has me excited to see this version.

The visuals alone look stunning and adding to that are the wonderfully designed costumes by Eiko Ishioka. Oh the colors!! I'm betting on this being a treat for the eyes.

"Mirror, Mirror" hits theatres on March 30, 2012, despite the earlier dates on the posters.

imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com

Now for something completely different. The second of the Snow White's to hit theatres this year is "Snow White and the Huntsman" staring Charlize Theron, Chris Helmsworth, and Kristen Stewart. Again, I'll leave it up to you to figure out who plays what character, though I'm betting you already know.

While both Snows have similar approaches, this one looks to be the darker of the two. In this version, Snow White takes on more of a bad ass approach. After being sent off to the woods where The Huntsman is supposed to kill her, he has a change of heart and rather than kill her, her trains her up to fight back against the Evil Queen. Enter bad ass Snow White.

There is no doubt in my mind that Charleze not only will act the part, but she looks every bit of the role of the Evil Queen. Her acting talents prove just how good she is in each role she takes, so I'm sure this will be no different. The spotlight so far in the films trailers has been on her which does not make me sad at all.


Oddly enough, the spotlight has not been on the films name sake. I found this strange. There have been a few rumors surround this topic. Are they saving Snow White for the big reveal, is her role not as big as suspected, how bad is her rumored British accent? Take your pick.



Now, I'm not suggesting that Stewart's acting is below par, but I have viewed her in other things and lets just say, well, ya know, I think I'll keep those comments to myself. I will say this, if her role is not that big or if she is not up to the task, Universal could always cut the film to make it all about the evil queen. Yes, it's been done before. This would give Universal a huge jump at the live action villain franchise that Disney is going to kick off next year with "Maleficent" staring Angelina Jolie.

"Snow White and the Huntsman" hits theatres on June 1, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment