13 June, 2013

Photography

I've recently gotten back into a passion of mine.  Photography.  I used to shoot 35 mm back in the day, took photography classes in college and always seemed to be the designated picture taker at most family functions.  However, over time, I let this previous passion of mine slip through my fingers.  Not anymore.

I have been shooting with a Nikon Cool pics, not the best camera on the market, but it does what I need it to do and it was affordable, as well as my iPhone, always with me and takes pretty good shots.  

A lot has changed since the days of 35 mm and it's made photography rather fun.  There are tons of websites  that can help you edit your shot to improve on what you've taken.  I like that.  It's amazing what simple cropping can do to a shot.  And don't even get me started on filters. You either love them or hate them, but the bottom line is they can enhance a bad photo into something much better.

With the explosion of the digital and virtual age comes vast amounts of photography apps.  From Instagram to Flicker, people are posting pictures all over the web and everyone is a budding photographer.  There are some really talented eyes out there.  And just like American Idol finds new talent off the streets, who knows who might be scanning Instagram for someone to shoot for them.

Bottom line is I've again found my passion for taking pictures.  One of them most memorable times I've had with doing so was this past August while in New York City.  On our last day there and after having said goodbye to the dear friends we were spending time with, my friend Clarissa and I took a walk on the Upper East side of Manhattan.  Starting at 51st Street, we meandered our way to 5th Ave, took a right and kept on walking.  We just wandered.  While we did, we took pictures from architecture to art, balconies on high rise apartment buildings to fire escapes on seven story walk ups, building details to ornate fixtures.  Anything that caught our eye.  We walked for almost ninety minutes before having to get back to the hotel and make our way home.  It was beyond a pleasurable afternoon and one of my favorite New York memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment